I can honestly say it'southward one of the best things I ever did as a instructor—when I started wearing the same thing to school every mean solar day.

I'm trying to recall how information technology started exactly. I know I was didactics at a eye school in Wisconsin at the time, and the group of teachers I worked with truly embraced the whole "team concept" where v core teachers had the same students. I really liked this approach. Information technology helped usa work toward didactics the child as a whole, and we would see regularly, four days a week.

These meetings were focused mostly on curriculum or students, merely nosotros'd sometimes expand to other topics.

"I wonder why teachers don't have uniforms," I pondered out loud during 1 coming together. I was sporting my regular outfit of slacks, shirt, and a necktie. I remember thinking how squeamish it would exist to just wake up and not accept to recollect nigh what to wear.

Everyone agreed it was a great thought, and past the stop of our meeting, we were all on lath. We were going to buy majestic polo shirts next year to represent our group and create a flake of a uniform, at least to wear every once in a while.

Now this is where I should suspension and tell y'all that I tend to be a bit more than hardcore than some. (At least this is how some of my friends accept described me.) For example, I'm an outdoors guy at heart, and when I learned about the genius option of sleeping in a tent hammock vs. pitching an entire tent, I was sold. Yet, I'm besides pretty cheap (or I prefer the term price conscious), and instead of spending a few hundred bucks on a fancy, name-brand pattern, I ordered some tarp, material, and sewed my ain for about $40.

I tell this hammock story because I think information technology'southward a good representation of the kind of person I am. And like the program I had with the hammock, I besides had something in heed for a school uniform. And then the adjacent twelvemonth when the big idea of buying shirts fizzled abroad for most of the team, I definitely hadn't forgotten. The order form came through the function, and I decided to put my master plan into action.

"Y'all desire three purple shirts all in big?" the schoolhouse secretary asked. "Are y'all sure?"

I nodded happily, and she gave a reluctant, "Okay."

The shirts arrived in December, just earlier wintertime break, and when nosotros came dorsum for the new twelvemonth, I started wearing a purple shirt almost every day, I simply rotated from ane to the side by side. (Of course, Fridays were nonetheless reserved for flannel considering—well, that's what you practise on Fridays.)

The kids defenseless on pretty apace and started giving me a hard time. A few teachers did, also. But each morning when I woke up, I knew exactly what I would be wearing. The days of trying to lucifer a belt to shoes to a tie to a shirt with merely the right pants were over. It was awesome, and somewhen all my colleagues and students embraced it.

It might seem goofy at outset, but as teachers, nosotros take to make a ton of decisions every 24-hour interval. Personally, I'd rather save that energy for school and the kids vs. my outfit.

This year, I moved to Nebraska, so I've had a whole new gear up of students and fellow teachers to acclimate. I had assist, though. When I left Wisconsin, my parting souvenir was five new polo shirts with the new school name and colors.

Equally I transitioned to my new position, I began the practice right away. So far, a few students take brought it up and ane teachers makes a indicate to say, "Nice shirt!" when she sees me. I'm happy to say this small modify has been huge for me. By simplifying my wardrobe, it'south opened up my mind and challenged me to find other means to simplify my life as well.

In my own words-blog image